The BSc Hotel Management Degree is a Bachelor degree in hospitality studies and services. It is usually a 3-year postgraduate degree and offers students the knowledge and skills related to the functioning of a hotel, restaurant or other branches of hospitality. This degree opens up various opportunities in the world of travel and tourism, marketing and the services sector.
The hospitality industry has 4 broad sectors:
- Food and Beverages
- Travel and Tourism
There are a few associated business sectors like
- Fast food chains
- Retail and food stores
- Business catering
Fun fact: The pineapple symbol has been associated with the hospitality industry since the 18th and 19th centuries. Even today, many hoteliers opt for a theme around this symbol.
In this blog, we will explore in detail the scope and career opportunity, the eligibility criteria for the programme and the salary and job opportunities of the same.
BSc Hospitality Management Course Objectives
This program aims to prepare students with the skills and qualifications required to obtain a job in this industry. The main objectives of this course are:
- Acquire basic knowledge and personal qualities
- Learn about the ethics of the industry
- Develop leadership qualities
- Achieve higher professional growth in hospitality or related industries
- Develop entrepreneurial skills for those who want to create opportunities for others or in a way give back to the industry.
So, what do we learn through the course?
- This course prepares students to work in one of the largest industries in the world. They develop an in-depth understanding of the foodservice essentials like food safety, food quality, presentation, procedures and food standards. The course teaches them to run their business efficiently. The programme includes lessons in financial management and business accounting. Understanding profit margin, salaries and expenditures are all part of this learning process.
- One of the most important lessons that the students get during the programme is how to market their business. They are taught how to collect customer data and analyse it for understanding whether they need to improve or change any process.
- This course also trains students about how to use interpersonal skills to improve their business dealings. The hospitality industry needs professionals who can treat people from different cultures and backgrounds with respect and can easily communicate with them.
- In this course, aspirants are taught different aspects of the hospitality industry like
- Food & Beverage Preparation
- Housekeeping Operations
- Front Office Operations
- Business and Computer Applications
- Corporate Finance
- Sales & Marketing
- Public Relations.
BSc Hospitality Management: Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Management|
|Course Duration||3 years|
|Eligibility||10+2 with 50% minimum marks in Plus Two|
|Course Fee||Rs 1-3.5 Lakh|
|Examination Type||Semester Wise|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam and Personal Interview|
|Average Salary After Degree||Rs 3-7 lakh|
|Recruiting Companies After Degree||Radisson, Le Meridien, The Leela, Taj Hotels & Resorts, Marriott, Four Seasons, Expedia Group|
BSc Hospitality Management: Course Duration
The course in most colleges is of the duration of 3 years. Most educational institutions offer this course in semesters. Let’s look at the topics covered semester-wise.
- Front Office
- Food Production
- Housekeeping & Laundry
- Food & Beverage Service
- Communication Skills
- Hygiene & Sanitation
- Food Science
- Foreign Languages
- Food Engineering
- Computer Application
- Advance Accounts
- Hotel Economics
- Housekeeping II
- Food & Beverage Service
- Catering; F&B Management
- HR Planning & Management
- Marketing Management
- Catering Management
- Personality Development
- Bar Management
- Travel & Tourism Management
- Management Technique
BSc Hospitality Management: Course Eligibility Criteria
The candidate who wishes to pursue BSc in Hotel Management must have an outgoing personality, polite demeanour, a customer-oriented approach, discipline, and be willing to work long and odd hours. Students can pursue the programme after Class XII. The aspirants should have secured 50% aggregate marks in Plus Two. Some colleges have set an age limit of 22 years as the maximum limit for those who want to apply.
BSc Hospitality Management Admission Process
Most hotel management colleges conduct admissions on the basis of marks secured in the entrance exam. The most common of the exams is called National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology JEE (NCHMCT).
The best way to prepare for the exam is to solve as many papers as possible. This will give the candidate a good idea of the type of questions and what are their strengths and weaknesses. Solving mock question papers is a great way to start preparing. Knowledge of current affairs also helps a great deal. The candidate must also have a good understanding of grammar and vocabulary. A good grasp of numerical problems is also mandatory. Above all, the candidate must develop confidence that is key for the personal interview round.
BSc Hospitality Management Course Fees
The course fee for a 3-year undergraduate degree in hotel management comes to around Rs 1,95,000.
BSc Hospitality Management Syllabus
The syllabus for Bachelor’s in Hotel Management is standardised to a great extent. Most of the popular colleges have included the following topics in their programme:
- Food Production
- Business Communication
- Accommodation Management
- Food Science & Nutrition
- Global Food Trends
- Human Resources Management
- Culture & Diversity
- Foreign Language
- Front Office Operations
- Corporate Finance
- Travel & Tourism
- Business Law & Ethics
- Communication Skills.
Salary After BSc Hospitality Management Course in India
A career in hotel management assures an impressive salary range. This is one of the main reasons why hotel management is a sought-after career option for many. With experience, the salary keeps growing and if you are employed with a star hotel the package can get impressive.
The average base salary is Rs 351K per annum. (Source: Payscale)
Let us take a look at the salary scale as per the job roles.
Guest Service Associate
|Rs 247K-Rs 3m
Rs 203K to Rs 393K
Rs 712K to Rs 2m
Rs 480K to Rs 2m
Rs 118K to Rs 171K
BSc Hospitality Management Future Scope in India
The scope of hotel management in India looks promising because of the increasing number of job opportunities. Hotel administrations are now adapting to various new techniques to stay in line with the Covid safety protocols. This has led to the birth of several new roles that makes this career more exciting now.
Another highlight of this career is that apart from star restaurants and hotels, there is scope for growth in fast food chains too.
According to the India Brand Equity Foundation’s latest findings, India’s tourism sector is expected to reach Rs 35 trillion by 2029, registering a growth of 6.7%.
Career or Job Opportunities
We have now seen that a hotel management graduate has a promising career to look forward to. One of the key reasons is that the number of positions and the range of job responsibilities is quite impressive. Moreover, the opportunities are also increasing by the day.
Below are some of the most common job profiles for hotel management professionals.
- Responsible for maintaining standards of services
- Supervises working of housekeeping department, food quality
- Works with banquet department
- Establishes a standard of the hotel
- Comes up with plans to increase finances
Front Office Manager
- Overseeing work of receptionists, information & reservation clerks
- Ensuring rooms are as per guests’ requirements
- Coordinate between housekeeping department & food and beverages department
Food & Beverages Manager
- Plan, organise and supervise work of catering department
- Interact with guests to ensures their needs are met
- Coordinate and manage banquet requirements for parties
- Taking stock of cutlery, lines, cleaning & cooking supplies
- Arranging equipment maintenance & repairs
- Responsible for preparing meals
- Training kitchen staff
- Planning menus
- Managing kitchen budget
- Ensuring hotel premises is clean and well-maintained
- Training housekeeping staff
- Maintaining staff roster
How to Choose Top BSc Hospitality Management College?
With hotel management becoming a popular career choice, the number of colleges offering this degree has grown substantially. This degree is now available at both the graduate and postgraduate levels. There are a number of private and government colleges that offer this course in India.
Selecting the best hotel management institute proves to be very crucial in the life of a hotel management aspirant. You also need to decide whether you want to pursue the degree in your hometown or elsewhere.
The main parameters to choose a hotel management college are:
- Student-teacher ratio
Below is a list of top colleges offering hotel management degrees in India.
- Indian Institute of Hospitality & Management(Mumbai)
- BNG Tourism & Hospitality Management Institute (Kolkata)
- Sri Ramakrishna College of Arts & Science, CoimbatoreVels Institute of Science Technology and Advanced Studies (VISTAS), Chennai
- University Institute of Tourism & Hospitality Management, Chandigarh University, Mohali
- Faculty of Hospitality & Tourism Management, ICFAI University Sikkim, Gangtok
- Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology, Trivandrum
Top Companies Hiring BSc Hospitality Management Graduates
Most hotel management colleges facilitate internship opportunities. Several students get absorbed into the same companies. Many students bag great jobs during the placement drives in hotel management colleges.
Among the top 5 recruiters of hotel management graduates are:
- Taj Group of Hotels
- ITC Group of Hotels
- Fortune Park Group of Hotels
- Ambassador Group of Hotels
- Oberoi Group of Hotels
Benefits of Doing BSc Hospitality Management Course
We have already explored some of the key reasons why hotel management is a great profession – Salary, Job Opportunities and Growth Prospects.
Here are some other advantages of obtaining this degree.
Job Satisfaction – A hotel management degree ensures you have great job satisfaction because you are able to achieve your desired growth trajectory. Moreover, hotel managers and staff work in a good environment where hard work and sincerity is appreciated.
Reputation – Working for an established hotel chain can earn you a good reputation in the society.
Multiple job opportunities – There is ample opportunity to grow in this field as there are several positions on offer.
Financial Security – The salary structure and pay packages offered by most hotel groups ensure that you have financial security and stability.
Travelling Opportunities – This has proven to be one of the key drivers for people to opt for this profession. The chances to travel to various destinations.
Required Skills for BSc Hospitality Management Course
Hotel management requires a particular skill set to excel in the field. Some of the key skills required for professionals in this field are:
- Pleasant personality
- Excellent communication skills
- Customer-centric approach
- Team Player
- Good confidence
- Multitasking skills.
BSc Hospitality Management Degree: Related FAQs
Q: What is the qualification for BSc Hotel Management?
Ans: A candidate aspiring to pursue BSc in Hotel Management should have passed Std XII with a minimum 50% score.
Q: What should I do after 12th in Hotel Management?
Ans: You can pursue a BSc degree in hotel management after completing Std XII.
Q: Which entrance exam is needed for BSc Hotel Management?
Ans: The admission for pursuing BSc Hotel Management is mostly determined by the scores in the entrance exam. The most common of these exams is National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology JEE (NCHMCT).
Q: How hard is BSc Hotel Management?
Ans: This course is covered in semesters with a theory+practical pattern. This makes the course a considerably easier to pursue program.
Q: Is BSc in Hotel Management good?
Ans: This degree is the best for anyone who aspires to secure a job in the field. It increases the number of job opportunities and the scope of growth in this profession.
Q: What is the course duration of BSc Hotel Management?
This is a 3-year undergraduate course.
The Hotel Management degree in India is set to see exponential growth. India with its 37 world heritage sites, 10 biogeographic zones, 80 national parks and 441 wildlife sanctuaries provides the industry ample scope of growth. India’s hospitality industry has also emerged as one of the key drivers of growth in the services sector.
Besides, India also attracts foreign tourists. The Indian government also supports the hotel and tourism industry to make India a global tourism hub. The government recently introduced a one-month free tourist visa to 5 lakh tourists. The Indian Railways runs a series of Bharat Darshan trains. This is also a good opportunity for growth in the tourism industry.
Call to Action
Having explored the world of opportunities, you must be curious to know which college to join for the BSc Hospitality Management course. Explore the course details of Suryadatta College of Hospitality Management & Travel Tourism (SCHMTT) at www.schmtt.org.
SCHMTT offers NAAC accredited BSc in Hotel Management. This is a 3-year course and comes with several modern amenities. The college also provides excellent placement assistance along with 21 value-added modules.
So, wait no more. Check out the admission procedure and apply now!