The hotel industry in the country was one of the worst industries affected by lockdowns, but it is also one of the fastest industries to recover once everything was back on track. It is one of the most resilient and profitable industries in the country with the potential to provide employment to millions and contribute heavily to the country’s economy. With vaccines and medicines being developed, the worst might be over, so the industry is set to get back to its thriving ways.
If you are intrigued by the hotel management industry, in the following blog, you will find more information that will further illuminate you on how awesome hotel management in India is and how, when, where, and what career you can make in this industry. Read on to know more:
What is The Scope of Hotel Management?
If you have finished your 12th standard exam, and are interested in entering the hospitality industry, you should consider studying hotel management. India’s tourism and hospitality industry will be worth $448 billion by the year 2029, so, now is one of the best times to be a part of this industry. Based on your interests, there are many professions you can pursue as a career and earn an excellent living.
The Indian government is also pumping in a lot of money into the industry to create more jobs and advancement. Many successful foreign hotel chains are making their way to India, and this is going to give the industry a huge boost. The concept of fine-dine restaurants in India is also catching speed. Therefore, make the smart choice and choose to study and make a career in hotel management.
Is Hotel Management a Good Course?
Yes, hotel management is a good course, but only if it is done from the right institute and reputable university. Realising the demand for hotel management courses, many institutes provide this course, but they aren’t good. As a student, you should put your trust in a college and university that teaches you the best course that will prepare you to be a successful professional.
Here are a few things you should look for in a good hotel management course:
- Look for a course that is strong in practical application.
- Strong associations and affiliations with other educational organisations.
- Industry interactions and exposure.
- Management subjects for managerial skills development.
- A course that is up-to-date regarding the latest in the hotel industry.
How is Hotel Management as A Career?
The biggest reason why anyone chooses any stream of education is because of the careers they are interested in. Hotel management opens doors to many careers. Though they are varied careers, few similarities make the industry all the more lucrative. Here are the best features of a career in hotel management:
- Practical education with stress on personality development
- Multiple career choices
- High-paying careers with great benefits
- High-growth industry
- Opportunities to work internationally.
What are Career Opportunities after a Hotel Management Course?
A course in hotel management is going to open up many doors for you career-wise. There are many professions you have the luxury of choosing from. These careers are quite varied in nature, so you can choose the one which appeals to you the most. In the following section, there’s information on some of the best professions that might catch your attention.
o Lead into the heading with a 1-2 short paragraph
o Highlighting career opportunities after Hotel Management course
o Give a short brief of each job role
o Give separate heading for each job role
o Use of bullet pointers if required
Kitchen Stewarding Supervisor
This is an important position when it comes to the quality and hygiene of the commercial kitchen. The Kitchen Stewarding Supervisor works under the kitchen manager but has many roles and responsibilities. Some of these are:
- Supervising all the employees working in the kitchen and hygiene department.
- Overseeing budgets, finances, and books of the departments under their care.
- Conducting quality checks on the cleanliness, products, and services.
- Provide support to the chefs, cooks, and other kitchen staff.
- Ensuring the use of correct cleaning equipment, chemicals, and methods.
- Bringing the kitchen up to code based on the requirements of the government.
These are some of the roles and responsibilities of the Kitchen Stewarding Supervisor. This position is very important and also attracts a handsome salary.
The restaurant manager is the person in charge of a restaurant. This position comes with a lot of responsibilities as it is one of the top positions in a restaurant hierarchy. Here are some of the roles and responsibilities of a Restaurant Manager:
- Oversee the daily operations of the restaurant.
- Hire, train, and manage the staff for the restaurant.
- Work with the head or executive chef to design the menu of the restaurant.
- Oversee the cleaning and upkeep of the restaurant.
- Get customer feedback and keep improving the products and services.
- Monitor the stocks and anticipate demand.
- Process the monthly payments of the staff.
These responsibilities spell out the importance of a Restaurant Manager. They are also well-paid and one of the most sought-after professionals in the competitive industry.
Guest Relation Executive (GRE)
In an age where the customer is king, to succeed, hotels need to have a good Guest Relation Executive (GRE). They are the ones responsible for the guests having a good stay at the hotel. Here are some of their roles and responsibilities:
- Welcome incoming guests, and give a warm goodbye to leaving guests.
- Look into and resolve guest complaints on priority.
- Look after V.I.P. guests and maintain confidentiality.
- Improve the standard of service of the hotel they work in.
- Take suggestions and implement them for the betterment of the hotel.
- Coordinate with other departments and staff to ensure the best experience for the guests.
The GRE is a highly sought-after professional, especially by hotels that care about their guests’ experience. Happy guests become permanent customers.
Assistant Manager Administration
This position is all about administration. The Assistant Manager reports to the senior manager of the hotel or restaurant but has many responsibilities on their shoulders. Some of them are:
- Being a liaison between the staff and management.
- Help in the daily running of the hotel or restaurant.
- Keep a track of receipts and invoices of vendors and suppliers.
- Keep up-to-date records for all the transactions.
- Ensure customers have a great experience.
The Assistant Manager is the one behind the scenes who put in a lot of hard work and effort, but they are duly rewarded with a good salary, benefits, and promotions.
Assistant Guest Delight Manager
The Assistant Guest Delight Manager is the person in charge of guest happiness and satisfaction. This position is again a testament to how customer-centric businesses have become. An Assistant Guest Delight Manager’s roles and responsibilities are:
- Looking after the guests and their comfort.
- Quickly resolve customer complaints.
- Interacting with guests and making them feel welcome.
- Working with other staff members to improve services.
- Conducting internal audits to spot areas for improvement.
The Assistant Guest Delight Manager handles many situations and is one of the main persons responsible for the reputation of the business. Therefore, they are quite in demand and paid well.
Front Office Manager
The front office is one of the most important parts of a hotel or restaurant. The Front Office Manager is the one who looks after the front office. Their main duties and responsibilities are:
- Look after the daily operations of the front office, front desk, and reception.
- Greet and warmly welcome the guests.
- Hire, train, and manage the front office and reception staff.
- Oversee all customer-related activities like bookings, reservations, cancellations, etc.
- Conduct regular performance audits and reviews.
- Ensuring all customers’ complaints are resolved.
The front office area is like the face of the business. Therefore, the Front Desk Manager is integral to its proper functioning. The Front Desk Manager is an administrative position so it comes with a good salary package.
All the best restaurants have one thing in common, they all have an active Restaurant Captain looking after the guests. This is an important administrative and interactive position. The Restaurant Captain has the following duties and responsibilities:
- Greet and welcome the guests and seat them at their table.
- Should know the menu to answer guests’ queries about the food.
- Make smart recommendations on food and beverages.
- Ensure the guests are well looked after by the wait staff.
- Oversee the cleanliness and orderliness of the seating area.
- Politely interact with guests who are waiting for tables.
- Manage the schedules of all the wait staff.
The Restaurant Captain is the person who ensures the wait staff is properly working and the guests are looked after. Therefore, this position is eligible for a good salary and benefits package.
The chef is the main professional in the restaurant. Their job is to cook the food on the menu. The main reasons why people come to a restaurant or order room service in a hotel is because of the chef’s talent and cooking abilities. Here are some of the duties and responsibilities of a chef:
- Cook high quality, hygienic, and tasty food.
- Design the menu and recipes for the restaurant.
- Source high-quality, fresh ingredients from the best vendors.
- Hire, train, and manage the kitchen staff.
- Maintain the quality of the food and service.
- Oversee the cleaning and sanitisation of the kitchen.
- Interact with the guests when requested by the guests.
The chef is the main person in a restaurant. Hence, they are some of the highest paid professionals in the hotel industry. If you have a passion for cooking, you can pursue this profession.
Housekeeping Associate/Team leader
Housekeeping associates are the people in charge of the upkeep and cleanliness of hotels and restaurants, and the team leader is the person in charge of all the associates. Here are some of their duties and responsibilities:
- Clean the hotel rooms, lobbies, and common passageways regularly.
- The team leader has to hire, train, and manage all the associates.
- Thoroughly clean the room before the guest comes and after a guest leaves.
- Replenish all the toiletries in all the bathrooms and restrooms.
- Maintain the highest order of sanitation and hygiene.
The Housekeeping Associates and their team leader keep the cleanliness in the hotel which keeps the guest happy and coming back. They are important for a hotel’s success, and hence, are paid really well.
Which Field is Best in Hotel Management?
There are many different fields in hotel management, and with a good education, you can choose the field that truly interests you and excel in. But need to know about them before choose, so here are the top fields in hotel management:
- Hotels & Tourism
- Airline Catering & Cabin Service
- Hotel Kitchens
- Cruise ship Kitchens
- Front Office
- Hospitality Services for Defence Institutions
The hotel management industry in the country has amazing scope, and there are many careers you can choose from. Therefore, rather than doing something run-of-the-mill, why not do hotel management after your 12th and become a part of one of the most profitable industries in the country.
Get Your Career @ Suryadatta
When it comes to hotel management education, Suryadatta College of Hospitality Management & Travel Tourism (SCHMTT) is the place to choose. Along with great education taught by excellent faculty and courses affiliated with Savitribai Phule Pune University, SCHMTT also brings to you overseas internship opportunities, a strong industry interface, amazing placements, and access to the best alumni network. You will love studying hotel management at SCHMTT.
Admissions are open now! Visit SCHMTT’s hotel management form, and a counsellor from SCHMTT will reach out to you with all the information. Hurry, as admissions get full fast!